Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Shakespeare's Specific Series'

Shakespeare is very good at having his characters really EMPHASIZE their points with series'. for example: Glouster says, "we have seen the best of our time:" this alone might have made his point. BUT he takes it a step further with this:
 "machinations, hollowness, treachery and all ruinous disorders follow us disquitely to our graves" (Act I scene II)
He did not have to give us that detailed description of what is left, but because he did, it gives the reader/audience memeber a sense of much deeper, and much more specific despair.


He uses series to make a local point very global:
"love cools, freidnship falls off, brothers divide: in cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in palaces, treason; and the bond craked 'twixt son and father" (act I Scene II)
So many problems in the world, and he compares a bond broken between a father and son to treason in a kingdom. We then get a sense of how deeply he feels betrayed because of this juxtaposition.

To emphasize loyalty: Kent could have easily just said, "I will serve loyally" but instead takes it that much further, and swears loyalty in a much stronger way when saying:
"to serve him truly that will put me in trust; to love him that is honest; to converse with him that is wise and says little; to fear judgement; to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish"(act I scene IV)


Shakespeare creates a witty fool with wordplay:"they'll have me whipped for speaking true, thou'lt have me whipped for lying, and sometimes I am whipped for holding my peace" (act I scene IV)


In empasizing incredulousness at his daughters' lecherous behaviour:
"They durst not do't;
They could not, would not dot; 't is worse than murder" (Act II scene IV)


By use of word-play and series, Lear's  feelings are magnified and maddened. Truely creating a clear image of frustration and anger (even without seeing an actor perform it)
"You think I'll weep; No, I'll not weep:
I have full cause of weeping; but this heart
Shall brake into a hundred thousand flaws,
 Or ere I'll weep." (Act II scene IV)

No comments:

Post a Comment