Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sassy Paulina

I like Paulina. And I'm assuming this is because Shakespeare liked her. This surprises me. From the little I know of Shakespeare's views on women, he does not hold the highest opinion of them (us?). He has his characters often say disclaimers because they are women, and creates sometimes weak female characters and/or ridiculous, easily swayed, very dependent ones.

But I think he places Paulina in high regard--don't you? She is the only one who is straightforward to the king in telling him of his insanity. Leontes asks "What, canst not rule her?" to which she replies with a loaded, seething statement: "From all dishonesty he can: in this, unless he take the course that you have done, Commit me for committing honour..." ooo..... ouch. (Paulina: 1, King: 0)
bah ha ha ha


and again, so snappy to the king in defense of her queen:
"Good queen; I say good queen;
And would by combat make her good, so were I
A man, the worst about you"

the other characters respectfully (and somewhat cowardly) plead with the king to examine the situation, but she flat out, sassily demands him see his folly, and even accuses him of becoming a tyrant:

 "But this most cruel usage of your queen--
Not able to produce more accusation
Than your own weak-hinged fancy--something savours
Of tyranny, and wil ignoble make you,
Yea scandalous to the world"

He, flustered demands "Away with her!"
I can just see her pulling her arms from a guard in defiance, nose upturned and sassy, "I pray you, do not push me"

Anyone keeping score? Paulina: (at least) 3; King: ...0

1 comment:

  1. I loved how Paulina just kept being persistent. I actually think that Shakespeare likes strong woman characters, although a feminist would probably want to punch Shakespeare in the face because of all the derisive comments about women. Look at Kate in The Taming of the Shrew. She is super strong and has fun playing with Petruchio for a almost the whole play.

    ReplyDelete