Tuesday, September 20, 2011

shall i compare thee to a summers' day? or to a bad date?

I do believe that men need to take lessons from Shakespeare on how to speak to women, because the man's got it down pat.
All of the men on campus I'm sure all think the same way Prince Florizel does, they just don't have the right words to express such thoughts..
 that cute boy on campus who spots a sweet daughter of God is totally thinking:
"... my desires
Run not before mine honour, nor my lusts
Burn hotter than my faith"

And my roommate's boyfriend who recently proposed the idea of marriage by saying, "so... if i were shopping for a ring, would you want to come...?" really wanted to say:
"For I cannot be
Mine own, nor anything to any, if 
I be not thine...
Lift up your countenance, as it were the day
Of celebration of that nuptial which 
We two have sworn shall come."


What father doesn't want to say this about his little girl?:
"he says he loves my daughter:
I think so too; for never gazed the moon 
Upon the water..."


My incredibly articulate ex-boyfriend's biggest compliment was, "you're pretty" 
thanks buddy!
what i'm sure he meant was:
"When you dance, 
I wish you a wave o' the sea, that you might ever do 
Nothing but that; move still, still so..."

"Jason, i think... we should break up... it's finals week, and we're not really working..."
When he said, "Um... ok. i guess"what I am SURE he was thinking was:
"(we) cannot fail but by
The violation of my faith; and then 
Let nature crush the sides o' the earth together 
And mar the seeds within!...
From my succession wipe me, (take away my finals study time)
I Am heir to my affection"
i'm sure that's what he meant.

So men, let this be a lesson from the stud Prince Florizel, if you just SAY what you're actually thinking, the world would be a far more romantic place.
yes. this is my idea of Prince Florizel...


3 comments:

  1. Ha, I love it. The quality of language has definitely gone down lately. Actually, I think the quality of emotion has gone down, too. People's feelings just aren't that complex and expressible. It's sad..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister. In high school there was a guy in one of my classes who noticed I was almost always reading. To start a conversation with me about it he said, "Reading is hella hard." Yeah...
    Don't give up though. You don't have to settle for a modern day clown. There are eloquent men out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I see your point. I think I will go write my special someone a poem. After all, as most articulately spoken by the man Lorenzo:

    "The man that hath no music in himself,
    Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
    Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."

    ReplyDelete