Tuesday, September 27, 2011

schadenfreude

what an incredible production! The Winter's Tale put on by the Shakespeare festival in Cedar City, Utah opened up new perspectives about the play we recently read in class. There is something completely different reading a play than watching it. (i guess well, duh). Somethings that I did not get from the dramatic reading in my head:

-Leontes had a moderately gradual decent into a jealous frenzy
  • I read it as intensely and insanely sudden
    they are laughing at you
-Hermione is a red-head
  • pictured her blonde
-Their little boy was very young
  • for some reason I saw him as elevenish
-PAULINA was portrayed as a bitter spinster who exemplified schadenfreude

 Schadenfreude: Noun, often capitalized. ˈshä-dən-ˌfri-də\:
 Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others
    The way the director chose to portray Paulina was very intentional, I'm assuming. At the begining, she was totally that sassy, brave woman who fought for injustice, etc. But the last act she wore old lady clothing, was cross-stictching. It appeared that her only company was the lonely and regretful King Leontes; to whom she constantly poked into remembering his misfortunes and guilt:
    Leontes (referring to Florizel and Perdita): "Bring them to our embracement"
    Paulina: "had our prince, Jewel of children, seen this hour..."
    Oh woe is you--if only your son, whom you KILLED, could have been here! oh man--don't you just feel awful?!
    It's a good thing you reminded him, cause I think he almost forgot for a moment.
    she does the same thing at any mention of Peridita's beauty, and pokes the bruise about Hermione.
    Any glimer of light in his life, she snuffs out as soon as possible.
It's an interesting portrayl of the character who eventually brings redemption.  I'd love to hear your thoughts as to why she is both so good and Also SO AnNoYiNg.


P.S. this is a very funny song from the musical Avenue Q defining Schadenfreude

CAUTION: Am not posting the actual song because it is NOT QUITE of the highest moral standard. I appologize for some of the content. Listen at your own risk. You have been warned.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Leontes. I thought they made his change of heart seem a lot more believable than it was just from reading. And Paulina... like I said in class, she just reminded me of a cranky nanny. Like her job was to watch over Leontes and chide him whenever he did something wrong(like be happy while his family is dead).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I did not like Paulina. To me she felt like an abusive, manipulative old woman. Reading the play, I didn't mind her so much, I thought she was just sort of... strong willed? But seeing the play she was so much so that it was a huge flaw to her character. I wanted to punch her in the face and tell her to stop living in the past.

    ReplyDelete