Thursday, October 6, 2011

History is a thing of the Past




My new project: Julius Caesar.

I've never read a history before, so this should be interesting. I'm excited!

I'm thinking about looking at this from a historical perspective. From what I've researched thus far, the play is relatively accurate.

My plan is to analyze the play from a few different angles. These are the top 3 I'll be particularly focusing on as I read:
  1. Historical Accuracy
  2. Importance of the history for the people in Shakespeare's time
  3. Character motives and/or commentary on current (or Elizabethian) leaders
This Saturday, I am very excited, I am going to sit down and watch the 1953 MGM production of Julius Ceasar, starring Marlon Brando. More to come on that.

1 comment:

  1. I like your 3rd focus. I wonder what these historical plays would have meant to the people living in that time.. Another interesting thing about histories is that you can look at what about the play is not historically accurate, and take guesses at why it's different and what that brings to the story. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete