Monday, October 31, 2011

Social Discovery

I have actually already done this, but forgot to add it to my post.

Originally I thought I would look at the historical accuracy of Julius Ceasar, but then changed my mind. In the process, however, i came across this neat dialogue on the site "All Empires History Forum" on the Historical Accuracy of the Play.
 Some interesting highlights:
  • "Shakespeare's immediate source for history was Raphael Holinshed's Chronicles of England, Scotland, and Ireland(1577) but he was an avid reader who used lots of sources."
  • "Et tu Brute?" was a fictional line, however, according to Suetonius, in Greek, Caesar was rumoured to have said was "even you my child?"
  • The murder actually did take place on the Ides of March
  • and apparently it would not have been that uncommon to have all the senators carry weapons on their person. WHO KNEW?
Another free-lance internet author offered that Shakespeare was too flattering to the characters of Brutus  and Marc Antony. That in reality they were a bloodthirsty conspirator, and a selfish egotist, respectively.

One teacher on Good Reads, Bill Kerwin, said that every year (for over thirty years) his opinion of whom he likes better, Cassius or Brutus, changes. That's very interesting to me.


There is far too much analysis on this play to write about half of what I found.  But it goes to show how many people are captivated by Shakespeare, and specifically Julius Caesar.

1 comment:

  1. I think that researching the historical accuracy of the play sounds like a fantastic idea, actually, and I really enjoyed reading about how Shakespeare got his knowledge. I never even considered doing that as I have been studying Richard II, but I feel like I might want to look into that. that is really cool! Where did you do your research?

    ReplyDelete